A graphic designer combines arts and technology together to make visuals impactful. In the era of scintillating visuals, graphics designing has emerged as the most sought-after career in recent years.
Not only it has job opportunities in conventional 9-5 setup but also for freelancing which has become a very flexible and diverse source of earning. With lots of job opportunities in the market, graphic designing also keeps you on your creative toes and therefore these jobs never become boring and monotonous.
The manner in which a piece of information reaches a person influences the way in which he/ she comprehends it. The work of a graphic designer is to find out the modus operandi by which the client’s information is impacted in a way he wants.
There are various things a graphic designer is supposed to do
- Working with different software like Photoshop, Premiere Pro etc
- Creating illustrations
- Making promotional videos
- Understanding the needs of the clients and making designs accordingly
- Review of designs to make necessary changes
- Managing social media accounts of the companies
- Discussing the layouts of a work with clients and art directors before implementing it.
- Researching the latest trends in the field of designing to make their work impactful.
Career opportunities in graphic design
- Designing firms
- Graphic designing studios
- Advertising companies
- Print media companies
- Web designers ( UI/ UX designer)
- Game designing studios
- Logo designing firms
- Filmmaking industry
- Character making
- Wherever visuals are at play graphic designers are needed.
Courses and exams
There are many institutes in the country which offer a bachelor’s course in Design(Graphics) which can be of 3 to 4 years in duration depending on the college.
There are many diploma courses also which are offered of duration varying from 6 months to 2 years.
One can either do an undergraduate course in design or pursue a diploma in graphic design.
Most colleges have the age limit of 20 years.
Science with maths in class XII is compulsory for a design course from IITs.
Minimum 50% marks are required in class XII.
Post graduation courses are also available in graphic designing. These courses can be done after graduating in any field. For those who are looking for a career switch in the creative field, graphic designing can be a very accessible option.
Top Graphic Design Schools in India
- NID Ahmedabad
- IIT Bombay
- IIT Guwahati
- IIT Kanpur
- IIITDM Jabalpur
- Indian school of design and innovation, Mumbai
- UPES, Dehradun
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
- MIT Institute of Design, Pune
- Arch Academy of Design, Jaipur
For postgraduate courses following exams are conducted.
- NID- DAT
Pros of a career in graphic designing
- There is a huge demand for designers right now.
- Freelancing allows you to earn and work in the comfort of your home.
- Each project comes with new challenges and new solutions altogether and therefore work doesn’t become boring.
Cons of a career in graphic designing
- Long working hours in front of the computer.
- Due to high competition in the industry one has to be at their creative best all the time.
- There are strict deadlines for the submission of projects and hence this might become very tiresome at times.
- You will find yourself working most of the time.
Salary and growth perspective
Salary in this field depends on the skills one has acquired. After Post Graduation from reputed institutes, the salary might begin at 10 Lpa. In 2015, a student of NID bagged a package of 72 Lpa.
The salary is affected mostly by your portfolio and the work you have done.
On an average, the salary might be anywhere between 2.5-3 Lpa.
Growth potential is immense.
- Ability to learn new skills quickly will take you far in this field.
- Interest in designing through software.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
4.Good communication skills.Imaginative and creative edge.
5.Ability to express your ideas clearly.