One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.
Even though Harry Potter got the due for killing Voldemort, it was Albus Dumbledore who truly ended his tyranny. Dumbledore was the only one Voldemort was ever afraid of because even he knew the power a good teacher holds.
In ancient India, it was the practice to go to a Gurukul and gain knowledge from them. At the beginning of Hindu civilisation, it was imperative to learn the Vedas to become a good ruler.
Hence, brahmins used to serve as the teachers in the society, and they were greatly respected for it.
The teaching profession has since then gone through a tremendous change, from being reserved to a section of society to evolving through the formal system of teachers’ training started in the Buddhist era.
But it was during the British era that the advanced schooling system was incorporated in India.
Nowadays, classroom learning is not the only norm. There is a wide arena of possibilities and mediums for instruction.
An elementary teacher has the responsibility of moulding young minds and shapes the children into curious analytical beings who achieve great things.
Television, podcasts, other internet mediums have made it possible to make education fun and most importantly available for children.
Many NGOs have taken initiatives to reach rural areas and educate children having limited means and made education fun for them.
Courses and exams
There are many courses available for pursuing this field in all states of India. Some of the institutions offering courses in primary teacher training are given below-
- Delhi University ( B.El.Ed)
- Lady Irwin College
- Primary teachers’ education college, Hazaribagh
- National Academy, Thane
- Bethesda Women teacher training college, Ranchi
- Mahatma Gandhi College of education
- District Institute of education and training (D.I.E.T)
- Bharathiar University
Primary Teacher Training is a 2-year full-time undergraduate course which is divided into 4 semesters.
Elementary Teacher Training is a diploma level course for teaching the preschool curriculum and equips the teachers with skills to contribute to a child’s proper growth.
Whereas Bachelor of elementary education is a 4-year integrated professional degree programme of elementary teacher education. It requires graduation from 10+2 from any recognised board with a minimum aggregate of 55% marks depending upon the institution to be eligible. It is offered in 8 women’s colleges of Delhi University.
For more details you can get the prospectus here:
The role of an elementary teacher probably is the most important role in shaping up of individuals of a society. It impacts them early in their lives and shapes their ideals and personality on the whole.
Some of the responsibilities of an elementary teacher include-
- Introduce children to a plethora of possibilities that exist in the outside world and ignite curiosity in their young minds.
- Assess each and every student and engage their cognitive processes to the best of your abilities.
- Manage the classroom and inculcate disciplined behaviour among the pupils for short and long term.
- Organise extra-curricular activities such as picnics, class trips, sports events, indoor art-based activities, inspirational talks from professionals of different fields etc.
- Helping children deal with any problems they might be facing emotionally.
- Communicate with the guardians of children on a regular basis to discuss the progress of their kids.
- Design the curriculum and conduct examinations.
- There is no better sense of satisfaction than the one you feel when you know you have shaped the lives of hundreds or possibly thousands of children for the better.
- Timings are fixed and limited to 8 hours in a day. You will get home while others are still slogging through their offices.
- The more you teach, the more you learn.
- Safe and almost stress-free job.
- You have holidays free along with the children making it possible for you to spend time with your family.
- The pay is considerably low when compared to other professions, but so is the stress.
- The work can be repetitive and monotonous sometimes.
- It can be challenging and difficult at times to control children of that age.
- Hot temper and lack of patience can be disastrous for the children.
- There is limited professional growth possibility.
An elementary teacher’s salary is often not enough to make ends meet. It can get difficult to survive and afford some much-needed luxuries.
However, benefits come in the form of more holiday and vacation time and limited working hours to be devoted.
The average salary of a primary school teacher in India is around 2-3 l.p.a. While this might be sufficient for some people, it is suggested that you expand your education to gain quicker promotions and more responsibilities which in turn which bring better career prospects and experience.
An educator should unquestionably acquire the following personality traits to make a difference-
- Good communication skills with children.
- Understanding of child’s psychology.
- Friendliness and a positive attitude.
- Good listening skills.